Wednesday, July 28, 2010

clutter ~

We all have them…those areas of “ quarantined chaos”. Mine are in my closet, by my back door, and in a few other areas around the house. They are the places that you allow yourself to gather clutter! They are the little drawers, baskets, corners that random items go in when the "miscellaneous-ness" of them becomes too much to bear...like loose coins, or the bookmark you got as a party favor, or that Pottery barn kids catalog you are waiting to flip through, a hair bow, passie…They are also the places that hold the things that the “proper placement” of is too tedious and time consuming for, like your daughter's shot-report that needs to be filed away, or the coupon for Bed Bath and Beyond that you can never find when you need it because it is there… in the “ quarantined chaos” underneath the bookmark, Pottery Barn catalog, and shot report! AHHHHH…the insanity…

But…wait…there is hope…There is no doubt that we all need “chaos holdrs.” They are outlets for us…portals of disorder that make us feel NORMAL and MESSY!!! But if we're not careful, they can become bottomless pits of lost items and out of date magazines and coupons. Being pro active in the managment (not disposal) of the “ quarantined chaos” is the key to proper use of them!!!

To make the most of “the chaos,” have some established spots throughout your home, where it is acceptable to collect “stuff.” Then, allow stuff to collect there on a weekly basis…guilt free! Then once a week…or at various times during the week on established days…take a few minutes (5 - 10) to clear the spots…The key is the "once a week part”. You want to find just a little time each week (or day) to clear the spots before they deepen, widen and heighten!

I have five “chaos areas” that I allow stuff to collect throughout my house– my closet, by the back door, by the phone (in a dish), on the stairs (in a basket), and on the bed in my guest room. Throughout my week, I always end up collecting miscellaneous items and placing them in one of these established places. Then for literally less than 10 minutes a day, Monday – Friday, I clear one of the five spots…when you make a weekly habit of de-cluttering each of your nooks there is not very much that has been consumed…For example, when I find the Bed, Bath and Beyond coupon, I put it in my purse or in the side pocket of my car door to use when I need it. I put the Pottery Barn catalog in the magazine rack, the shot report in the medical file, and the loose change in my wallet and so on…

It takes only a few minutes to hit one area a day. Or, you can take a few more minutes and hit them once a week. I have five, some people may only have one or two. If you have many more than five, I would suggest you take a few extra “start up” minutes and de-clutter. Then establish fewer spots and begin the process. You will feel much more “on top” of the allowed-clutter instead of piled somewhere underneath it. And, who knows, you might even find yourself feeling so “on top of things” that you actually find the time to actually read that Pottery Barn Kids catalog!

No comments:

Post a Comment